John Jackson sound recordings C0010
Published by George Mason University Libraries
Born in 1924, John Jackson was a blues singer who rose to prominence with the folk revival of the 1960s. During the early 1940s, Jackson played for country house parties and dances in Virginia but gave up performing due to violence encountered while playing in 1945. Over the next twenty years, Jackson worked as a dairy farmer, chauffeur, butler, cook, and gravedigger. In 1964, at the height of the folk revival, Jackson was discovered in a gas station while giving guitar lessons. He began performing again in folk clubs in the Washington, DC area and became one of the region's most popular blues artists. Jackson's debut album, Blues and Country Dance Tunes from Virginia, was recorded in 1965 for the Arhoolie label. A master of traditional Piedmont blues guitar, Jackson exemplified the songster tradition at its best. He performed in North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America with an eclectic repertoire that embraced the music of his guitar heroes Willie Walker, Blind Boy Fuller, and Blind Blake. Besides the blues, rags, and dance tunes associated with these masters, Jackson played ballads, country songs, and what he termed "old folk songs," such as "The Midnight Special." A world-class storyteller and party-thrower as well as a National Heritage Award-winning musician, Jackson recorded a half-dozen albums for the Arhoolie and Rounder labels and toured the world several times. He died of liver cancer on January 20, 2002.
This collection contains 5 long-playing records of Virginia blues singer John Jackson.
Organized by date.
There are no access restrictions.
There are no restrictions on personal use. Permission to publish material from the John Jackson sound recordings collection must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, George Mason University Libraries.
Special Collections and Archives also holds other collections of music recordings.
Jackson, John, 1924-2002.
John Jackson sound recordings collection, Collection C0010, Special Collections and Archives, George Mason University.
Collection donated by Nan Netherton in 1989.
Processed by Special Collections and Archives staff. EAD markup completed by Eron Ackerman and Jordan Patty in August 2009.